Forums > The Oxford Comma Cafe

OCC Book Club (Not a Literature Club, Shadow)

Posts (118)

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33731061 - 1 year ago

In reply to Lpokmnj

....you have my attention. 

• Lpokmnj

Lpokmnj FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Blargh

#33731066 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

It's a very linguistically self-aware book, in the way only English authors seem to be capable of. If you enjoy stuff by Douglas Adams or Christopher Moore, you'll enjoy this. It's not heavy on the philosophical subtext as such, a la your discussions on Hyperion. Instead, philosophy is more of a plot device used to set the stage for the chain of events.

Actually, regarding the topic of philosophical underpinnings of books, I was wondering if you've read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun quadrilogy, and what you thought about it if you did.

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33731070 - 1 year ago

In reply to Lpokmnj

God Hyperion, I have to go back and read that again.  Perhaps after I finish Harry Potter. 

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33731072 - 1 year ago

I would vote for fun and would like the record to show that I will not touch a single thing with James Joyce's name on it. 

• Priest

#33731074 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

How about Louis L'Amour? 

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33731075 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

Sure. Unless he's somehow worse than Joyce. Then no.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#33731100 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

In reply to Shadow5435

James Joyce and Louis L'Amour- now in the sci fi section!!

• RealSquishy

RealSquishy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33731102 - 1 year ago

I'd like to participate, and I'm down with anything.

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33731108 - 1 year ago

So I have a suggestion on how we run this. Let's have a rotating leader position. Generally the leader will have to have read the book beforehand and be reasonably familiar with it. They'll lead discussion and such. Then when the book is over we move on to another person who puts a book forward.

• Priest

#33731214 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

Louis L'Amour actually wrote a sci-fi novel the year before he died. 

@Radius55,  That's a good suggestion. 

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33731299 - 1 year ago

@dizzyblinker - Want a book club?

In reply to Radius55

Fair idea.

• DodongoDuster

DodongoDuster Maethori

#33731412 - 1 year ago

Ok, so who goes first?

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33731416 - 1 year ago

I will. I'll post something later on. Ebook will be free, but only if you don't have the money to spend on it. I know the author and would prefer he sees a few dollars

• Ratatoskr

#33731421 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

I have a pretty good idea what you're going to put up. I'm happy with this idea. Might as well start out with a laugh.

• dizzyblinker

dizzyblinker Loud person

#33732222 - 1 year ago

I'm in love with this

• Priest

#33732294 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

I’m ready whenever you are 

• Radius55

#33732309 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

Dealing with buying a house. Waiting until I have reliable internet. 

• Radius55

#33732311 - 1 year ago

For now, can anyone who would find it tough to afford a $7 ebook let me know and I'll have a copy ready for you. 

• DodongoDuster

DodongoDuster Maethori

#33732320 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

I can get it, but it has to be at the beginning of the month. What book are we getting?

• Priest

#33732328 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

I can swing $7.  If someone else needs a copy I'll buy them one too. I want authors compensated. 

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#33732339 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

If it's an older book I may already have it,  otherwise I am always happy to add another book to the collection 

• Radius55

#33732540 - 1 year ago

Okay, keeping in mind that I'll be working RTX and will be on European time for a week in early August, might as well announce the first official book!

We will be reading Hard Magic, by Larry Correia. Cover blurb:

Jake Sullivan is a war vet, a licensed private eye, and the possessor of a seriously hardboiled attitude. He also happens to have the magical ability to make anything in his vicinity light as a feather or as heavy as depleted uranium. While a range of enemies natural and supernatural wants him deep-sixed, Jake likes living, and his days in the trenches and his stint in the stir for manslaughter have only made him harder, leaner and meaner.

I don't honestly love the blurb. What you need to know is it's a 1930's Action-Noir with a side of alt-history and a touch of fantasy.

So why do I think it's a good book? First, it's fairly fast paced with action, intrigue, and a really solid plot with plenty of character development. Good for a first book to get people involved. Second, the alt-history aspect and some of the deeper themes of the book are great talking points. Third, Larry is good people, and more people need to read his stuff.

Now the question is do we want to break the book in half, or into thirds? I'm thinking haves, and then have a discussion point the week after RTX, then another at a later date depending on how fast everyone reads. Of course, it's not a terribly long book, so if people are thinking it's going fast we could discuss it all at once.

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33732543 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

I might be able to buy it this week. 

• Ratatoskr

#33732561 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

I like this plan. Good author.

• RealSquishy

RealSquishy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33732623 - 1 year ago

I've heard of him and have been meaning to check some of his stuff out, so I suppose now is a good time to do so. I'm fine with either halves or thirds, though I'd probably prefer halves if I really enjoy it, since it means getting to the conclusion quicker.