Forums > The Oxford Comma Cafe

OCC Book Club (Not a Literature Club, Shadow)

Posts (118)

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33732752 - 1 year ago

Okay, let's shoot for getting through chapter 14 by next Wednesday. If there are still people working on it then, we'll push back discussion.

• DodongoDuster

DodongoDuster Maethori

#33732766 - 1 year ago

That works for me, I should be able to pick it up friday, and it gives me a few days to read it. I tend to flit from what I'm reading to whats going on online, to what wildlife is wandering around my yard at any given moment, and occasionally back.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#33732787 - 1 year ago

I got downloaded to my tablet...not sure how much time I will have to read during RTX

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33733038 - 1 year ago

I think I'll have to sit this one out. Long story, but financial troubles have made themselves known.

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33733042 - 1 year ago

In reply to Fly

Can get you the ebook free

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33733056 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

How?

• Radius55

#33733061 - 1 year ago

I'll send it to you on Discord tonight. Kindle format good? 

• DodongoDuster

DodongoDuster Maethori

#33733068 - 1 year ago

I really don't think its a spoiler, since its on the first page, but the beginning of this book takes place in my backyard. I've lived in Merced, and Los Banos, and I passed through El Nido all the time. It was a bit of a trip, seeing these places I recognize from real life in the story.

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33733072 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

Perfect! I appreciate the help!

• Radius55

#33733583 - 1 year ago

Due to RTX and stuff, pushing the discussion for the first half out to Wednesday the 15th

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33733584 - 1 year ago

Should we create a separate thread for each book, or are we going to discuss here?

• Radius55

#33733592 - 1 year ago

In reply to Fly

Probably discuss here.

• SailorGirl81

#33733864 - 1 year ago

I read at least up to chap 14 on the plane to/from RtX

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33733921 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

Fair enough. I didn't want to bog down the thread with our discussing in case lurkers didn't read it yet or were looking for book recommendations. But, either way, I'm fine.

In reply to SailorGirl81

Haven't been able to even start it yet... but I'm going to tonight while laying on my ice pack. 

• SailorGirl81

#33733929 - 1 year ago

In reply to Fly

I find it a fast, enjoyable read

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33733933 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

Cool. I need a break from what I've been reading currently. I enjoy crime, noir, and fantasy... So it should be pretty enjoyable on my end.

• Radius55

#33734748 - 1 year ago

It's time everyone! I hope you've all read through chapter 14. If not, hurry it up and join in the conversation later. Before we get started, does everyone think they can finish the other half of the book by next Friday?

Going to start off the discussion pretty generally. Who are everyone's favorite characters so far? What Powers have you liked, disliked, or think are missing? Are there any major historical events you think would have changed in this universe? How? And of all the characters, who do you think is currently the most powerful?

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33734774 - 1 year ago

(currently behind, will catch up)

• Radius55

#33734861 - 1 year ago

*Crickets*

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33734867 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

No, I'm still finishing up.  Baby has made it hard to read. So far I like the book a lot; It took me a while to try to wrap my head into it, but once I started thinking a little steampunk I got it. 

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33734895 - 1 year ago

Also behind... Lots of problems happening right now. I have started it... only a couple chapters in right now. I'll catch up.

• Radius55

#33734897 - 1 year ago

Okay, since everyone is apparently a slow reader, we can push out discussion for the first half until Monday. 

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33734912 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

Not a slow reader... Just busy.

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33735507 - 1 year ago

Alright, here's my cents:

Heinrich's got style, but he doesn't have depth yet. So the prize for favorite character goes to Jake. Since I don't generally tag primary protagonists for that, it's a treat.

Pale Horses seem a little... hackneyed? For a highly detailed and complex system of magic, this suite of powers seems ill-fitting.

Well, the Industrial Revolution was certainly different. Women's suffrage could easily be different. No one's going to argue with some righteous Torches, for one. I'm kind of tempted to wonder how some of the early intelligence agencies would have adapted to having Fades, Readers, and Mouths in their employ. 

How about the Spanish Flu? Could Healers have stopped it dead? Did it infect the Volunteers in Europe?

And current power user? Chairman vs Jake. The latter is analytical, and has shown his skill at pattern learning and memory. He was already breaking the rules before he saw the Power. If he's a quick learner, then he'll figure out the whole game. As for the Chairman (Leonard Church joke goes here) we don't have a clue what his power limit is, if it exists.

• Radius55

#33735522 - 1 year ago

In reply to Ratatoskr

I'll be interested to see how those responses change at the end of the book. Going to mostly excuse myself from discussion since I've read the entire series which gives a lot of additional insight into the way everything fits together, and I don't want to spoil it. But the way it really works is Book One introduces the universe/characters, Two begins to get into some of the secrets and lays a foundation for the climax, while Three has everything come together. I hope people read beyond Hard Magic because while all the books are good, the payoff in Warbound (Book 3) is pretty outstanding.