Forums > The Oxford Comma Cafe

OCC Book Club (Not a Literature Club, Shadow)

Posts (118)

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33737576 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

I’m on board.

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33737720 - 11 months ago

I can get there 

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33737733 - 11 months ago

Trust me, the last quarter of the book goes really fast. 

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33737735 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

It's a good book.

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33737739 - 11 months ago

In reply to Priest

If you like it I highly recommend the rest of the series. The last book is pretty amazing. Everything comes together in a spectacular fashion. The audiobooks are also excellent if you like those things. 

• Ratatoskr

#33738177 - 11 months ago

Thoughts, having had a couple days to mull on it:

I really liked this book! It's clean, it's focused, and it's fun. The build up to the big fight was slow enough to be satisfying, and went bombastically. Faye in hunter-killer mode aboard the Imperial flagship was easily my favorite. 

The Power handing out specific, videogame-y powers makes a degree of sense, and I very much liked the idea that they are correlated, Spikers and Movers for instance. Harkness' plan became clear to me before the reveal, and it was pretty satisfying. 

Writing wasn't particularly deep, nor will I reflect on it in the small dark hours of the night. But that was a fun ride.

• Radius55

#33738179 - 11 months ago

Well, here's a deeper question for you: Can you imagine any case where the Enemy of the Power could be terrible enough to justify the Chairman's actions? Assuming you were in his shoes and the Power told you about the Enemy, how would you go about stopping it? I won't go into exactly what stopping it entails (that's for the other two books) but assume it can be stopped conventionally, it just needs a massive amount of cooperation between Powerful individuals.

• Ratatoskr

#33738181 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

I read Lovecraft. A lot of Lovecraft. I can see all kinds of scenarios that would vindicate a totalitarian approach. 

I’ll think about this for a moment, but point out that the Chairman’s (why aren’t we making RvB jokes here?) approach was likely colored by his backstory as a ronin. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and ronin granted godlike power are just screwy.

• Radius55

#33738182 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ratatoskr

To be fair, most of the atrocities he committed actually happened. Unit 731 was really a thing, and were every bit as bad as the worst of the Nazi camps, if on a smaller scale. Read up on the "Epidemic Prevention and Water Purification Department". The attitudes seen here are actually fairly accurate portrayals of 1930's Japan.

• Ratatoskr

#33738184 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

Yeah, I’ve seen those before. That was definitely a solid plus to historical context. 

Ultimately, this is an extinction event, right? We fail to save the Power, we’re all screwed? 

• Radius55

#33738194 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ratatoskr

Let's just say that or worse. 

• Ratatoskr

#33738196 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

Lovecraft, not an asteroid, got it.

Conquest will obviously secure a large Power-base (couldn’t resist) within a couple decades. Also risky, expensive, and creating a fragile state. Great if you predict exactly when you need this cooperation, not so great if you’re just waiting on it.

A UN/League of Nations approach might not work outright, due to how Actives are viewed here. Similar problem with an annexing of territory as Active-only or concentrated. An island nation could theoretically call itself a land for all Actives, but that doesn’t stop the rest of the world from targeting it, nor does it actually guarantee a large population size. Maybe in concert with something else, though.....

• Priest

#33738201 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

Unit 731 is one of the things that I wish only existed in fiction.  It is truly one of the most evil, vile things that humans have ever done to one another. 

As for justification of The Chairman's actions...I don't know. Let me mull a bit more.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper Of Kittens

#33738456 - 11 months ago

I for one did NOT see the Harkness reveal coming.  However that may in part be my problem in keeping track of so many characters with so many names.  Plus, a week or so gap between reading the first half and reading the second half probably didn't help. 

I was definitely confused at one point in the final battle, thinking I had missed a page or something as it seemed that someone who I knew was on one airship seemed to suddenly be on a different airship, only he wasn't...very hard to follow. 

I found the final fight between the brothers to be resolved rather cleverly and good riddance to the bad guy. 

The problem with the Chairman's method is that it creates a world that I would have a hard time wanting to save, much less live in.  

• Ratatoskr

#33738469 - 11 months ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

“...hard time wanting to save...”

Now there’s an interesting argument.

Is a totalitarian state worth living in if you’re not on top?

• Radius55

#33738470 - 11 months ago

In reply to Ratatoskr

Although no regime will last forever. Is it worth it to have a time of totalitarianism in exchange for the survival of humanity?

• Ratatoskr

#33738473 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

There is an argument to be made that the Chairman’s regime would eventually devastate the Earth (Geo-Tel used a few times - can’t be great) and human population to a degree that the upcoming threat would more easily wipe us out. That gets time-line dependent. 

I genuinely enjoy the moral ambiguities.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper Of Kittens

#33738479 - 11 months ago

In reply to Radius55

What if that totalitarianism destroys "humanity" on its own?  All that would be left are bipedal flesh robots.