Forums > The Rooster Teeth Safe Room

Safety at community events

Posts (10)

• GB330033

GB330033 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whoops, looks like somet

#32414718 - 5 years ago

Hey everyone,

For those who don't know me, I run RT SideQuest, a group founded by @count3d that works to connect the RT community and charity. We host events for community members throughout the year and have a blast doing it.

I know this group is primarily geared towards cyber-bullying, but what about when our community goes offline and gathers together? We come together at so many events throughout the year, but do we ever consider that some community members may not want to attend because of past negative experiences.

So I began to wonder: Has RTSQ ever caused someone to feel unsafe? I have no direct knowledge of anything like that ever happening at an RTSQ event (If you have knowledge of such a happening, PLEASE message me), but I want to get out in front of it and make sure it doesn't EVER happen.

So what would you say are the most important things an event can do to make you feel "safe"? What things are immediate red flags? How can we (Not just RTSQ, but the entire community) help each other feel safe at community events? I'd like to compile all of your suggestions into a list of things that community event organizers can do to ensure that EVERYONE feels safe attending their events, despite any past history with cyber bullies.

Suggestions so far:

- Clear anti-harassment/bullying policy set forth in the event details

- Publicly available contact information for event organizers/staff that attendees can use in the event of an issue

- Contact details for methods of transportation to/from events (Cabs, buses, safe ride programs, etc)

- "Buddy System" for attendees to meet beforehand and have at least one "safe" friend at the event

Post edited 2/19/14 1:29PM

• Karl

Karl

#32414719 - 5 years ago

In reply to GB330033, #1:

I'd definitely love to hear some recommendations as to how we can make sure everyone feels safe enough to want to come to fan events, I help organise RvB:UK and I'm also going to be attending fan events all across the world and if there is anything that I or any of the organisers can do we would love to hear and make these events as safe as we can for all attendants

• ailsarocks

ailsarocks Community Stylist

#32414720 - 5 years ago

I've had a really good think about this, and I've come up with some suggestions that might reassure attendees of any of our events:

- especially before, and during the event have like a poster or space on the main page that clearly shows you pictures of the "guardians" or "spectres" and their names. If people are nervous it might be reassuring to know exactly who they can go to for help.

- have a procedure and clear rules set in place for anti-bullying at events. Again posted in the groups and at the event itself.

- contact details or event mobile if an attendee is suffering from anxiety and needs reassurance.

- local cab/taxi numbers if any attendees do not feel safe while travelling to/from events.

Leave it with me, I'll think of more! smiley0.gif

• sedahren

sedahren FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32414721 - 5 years ago

In reply to ailsarocks, #3:

Numbers for reputable cab companies is a great idea.

I don't know how practical this would be, but would it be possible to create a sort of buddy system? A lot of people travel to RTX alone, and may be reluctant to commit to events for this reason. They could be shy, anxious, not good in large social situations, whatever the case may be. If there was a way for these individuals to be 'adopted' by others it might encourage them to sign up for things. Does that make sense? I know there are threads for people travelling alone to RTX, but it's not quite what I'm getting at.

• ChickTastic

ChickTastic FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32414722 - 5 years ago

In reply to sedahren, #4:

So for this "buddy" system, how do you think it would be best for people to meet their perspective buddy beforehand to make sure that this doesn't become a anxious situation the day of as well. Coming from a background where I have had to overcome this fear myself, I could see where if I didn't know my own RTX buddy I might leap out at the last moment.

This could also create a cyber buddy past RTX or other events, which could be a great thing.

• sedahren

sedahren FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32414723 - 5 years ago

In reply to ChickTastic, #5:

I suppose the people would be buddied together and then could chat one-to-one over the site or on Skype, or wherever they feel comfortable. They could potentially arrange to meet before RTX (that would be entirely up to them). It would be awesome if people could be paired locally, so they would have that option.

• Karl

Karl

#32414724 - 5 years ago

In reply to ChickTastic, #5:

In reply to sedahren, #6:

I've been trying to organise a few things for RTX this year so people who are flying out there from the UK can meet up at the airport and fly together so they won't be alone especially since some of them are going for the first time so arriving in a strange country and not knowing anything can be scary but if they have some one there with them it will hopefully be easier and safer for them to travel

• sedahren

#32414725 - 5 years ago

In reply to Karl, #7:

That's why I started the UK RTXers thread. For meeting people, and for if anyone wants advice on anything :)

• GB330033

GB330033 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whoops, looks like somet

#32414726 - 5 years ago

I've updated the original post with all the suggestions that have been made thus far. I didn't really elaborate too much on the buddy system yet, because I think the ongoing discussion is interesting and will help to shape the idea more.

I love all the suggestions so far and I'm definitely looking at integrating them into RTSQ events! I'm planning to compile and distribute everything I can to other community event organizers so we can all ensure that our attendees are comfortable and safe

• Karl

Karl

#32414727 - 5 years ago

In reply to GB330033, #9:

I definitely think that is a great idea and would help more people attend community events. The buddy system is definitely something I would love to get fleshed out and implemented where ever possible, I'm currently planning a few things for around RTX so first timers will feel more comfortable around Austin