Forums > The Strangerhood

Sims 2 & CD/DVD burning software

Posts (16)

• TheBrit

TheBrit

#83992 - 14 years ago

I am having trouble installing Sims 2. While investigating I came across an issue that any potential purchaser of the game should concider.

Sims 2 BBS Scroll down past the message tree and read the messages.

Interesting reading. I will leave you to form your own oppinion.

• Zimmy

Zimmy

#84016 - 14 years ago

In reply to TheBrit, #1:

Doesn't affect the DVD version, so I'm happy.

But really it is so much bullshit.

• Turiya

Turiya

#84243 - 14 years ago

In reply to TheBrit, #1:

That is just totally whack.... what right do they truely have to pull crap like that? "Invasion of Privacy" comes to mind....

• Goat_Sucker

Goat_Sucker

#85109 - 14 years ago

... that is some fucked up shit.

If this is the game industries new response to illegal burning, they are going to loose a LOT of money. Everyone and their mother owns a CD/DVD Burner/Writer Drive.
    This is just stupid.

• Turiya

Turiya

#85410 - 14 years ago

In reply to Goat_Sucker, #4:

For some people, that's the only optical drive in their system, too.

• mtllcrckmn

mtllcrckmn

#86008 - 14 years ago

i have a laptop and run it on that, its got a cd/dvd rw drive too and it works fine, a bit choppy but its ok

• TheBrit

TheBrit

#86033 - 14 years ago

In reply to mtllcrckmn, #6:

It is (now) running on my PC and appears to be running OK with Nero 6 and a CD/DVD burner.

Some of the people posting have had problems but not all. The underlying theme is an outrage that a software company feels it can dictate what other software you may/not have co-resident on your computer.

• adidax

adidax

#113635 - 14 years ago

it seems that the problem isn't really the actual software being present on your computer, but the emulation options being turned on while trying to play. the emualtion options are used to defeat the safedisc copy protection, and i can understand whoever made safedisc (macrovision i believe) in being concerned if these emulation options are enabled. however it's not too hard to turn these off, i'm running d-tools, clone cd, achohol, and nero image drive, and once i turned off all the emulation options for these programs, it ran fine with no problems.

• TUNNELRAT

TUNNELRAT

#114012 - 14 years ago

In reply to Turiya, #5:

Especially if you are a Mac owner.

• Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

#114930 - 14 years ago

In reply to adidax, #8:

I agree.

If you look at the official EA article, you only need to turn off the emulation to make the game work. I think this is completely legitimate, considering these are the specific technologies which would be used to hack the game.

Besides, it's not as bad as the copy protection on Far Cry. If you have these programs installed you might get a non-descript error message and crash to the desktop. OR, THE GAME MAY INTENTIONALLY GLITCH. That's right, if you play Far Cry with CloneCD on your computer your character will move slower, have less life, your gun will jam more often, etc.

Sims 2 really isn't bad, once you look at it.

• ViolaPrimus

ViolaPrimus

#124915 - 14 years ago

In reply to TheBrit, #1:

I used MagicISO, made an IMG...

Then I use Daemon Tools and use the emulation...
    I haven't seen any problems at all... I guess?

• ViolaPrimus

ViolaPrimus

#124920 - 14 years ago

In reply to ViolaPrimus, #11:

You keep the play cd IMG, and if you need to play it on another computer, put the CD on your HD!

Easy pie!

• TheBrit

TheBrit

#125520 - 14 years ago

In reply to Vivariums, #12:

This is a dodgy area for this forum as it is close to a 'technical' piracy. You should only use the game on 1 computer at a time. By the book - you should uninstall before using on another.

I OWN the game as I paid for it. I understand the reason for copy protection but the constant disk swaps can be annoying. Each disk swap is a potential damage situation.

To avoid Key disk deterioration I use Alcohol with an image I create from the Key disk. Why should this be unacceptable? Has anyone tried to get a replacement for a damaged Key disk? I'll bet it would not be easy.

• nicoletbn

nicoletbn

#125993 - 14 years ago

In reply to TheBrit, #13:

Actually regarding replacing discs, if you check out their site here it's not really a big deal. Send in the disc at any time (even like years later) with a check for 7 bucks or so, and they send back new discs.

• TheBrit

TheBrit

#126070 - 14 years ago

In reply to nicoletbn, #14:

I take it back. R.T.F.M. (Read The F****** Manual) - My bad :(

• Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

#126248 - 14 years ago

In reply to nicoletbn, #14:

$7 is more than most people want to play. On the other hand, I agree that EA has the right to stop the program from working if CD emulation is running. That's quite reasonable and EA at least tells you what's going on, unlike other companies.

Give them a break, they're just trying to run a buisness, and they're being reasonable.