Forums > The Strangerhood

How [b]do[/b] you do it?

Posts (20)

• Gryphonvere

Gryphonvere

#95079 - 14 years ago

I've been a fan of RvB (still need to see Season 2, however), and am enjoying The Strangerhood immensely. However, just a couple of questions on a "how you do it" kind of level. Granted, I haven't played TS2, but these questions came from thinking about what I read in the various reviews on GameSpy, Adrenaline Vault, etc.

1) How do you prevent the characters from aging? Is there some kind of hack or "toggleable option" available to use to prevent this?

2) How do you get the characters to lip sync, especially since all the sims speak is gibberish? (With RvB, part of the fun was in the fact that they had no visible faces).

3) How do you get the characters to "act" - ie: arm movements, etc. In a game such as NWN or something like that, there are "emotes" you can fire whenever, but how do you get that to work with TS2?

Anyways, I hope I'm not being a pest - just curious as to how things work in a whole new environment.

• Sevenar

Sevenar

#95185 - 14 years ago

In reply to Gryphonvere, #1:

1)There's a console command to turn aging off.
    2) You don't. You try to match up the Simlish as best you can with your dialogue, then re-record over the video as close as you can. Notice how many times the camera cuts away while someone is speaking? That's probably where the lipsync couldn't keep up with the dialogue.
    3) Whenever 2 Sims have a conversation, they move their arms. Each model has a limited number of animations, so you might start seeing some repitition in future episodes.

• bigcat

bigcat

#101165 - 14 years ago

In reply to Sevenar, #2:

If you don't mind a few more questions:
    1) Can you turn off the little emote balloons? They tend to really get in the way while filming.
    2) How do you change camera angles?
    3) Is there a cheat to control the visitors in your house? I'm working off of an old time radio comedy soundtrack that features lots of dropin guests. I don't want to have them join the family, but getting them to do what you want is like herding cats! ;)

• mew

mew

#101174 - 14 years ago

In reply to bigcat, #3:

1) Emote balloons..? What do you mean?
    2) Hit tab. :)
    3) Not that I know of.

• bigcat

bigcat

#101371 - 14 years ago

In reply to mew, #4:

Thanks. By emote balloons, I mean the little thought bubbles over the characters heads, like lips, wedding rings etc...

• ViolaPrimus

ViolaPrimus

#101471 - 14 years ago

In reply to Gryphonvere, #1:

I know all of this for sure

1.) They edit it out, they just patched it/hacked it...
    Plus they use the same save, so it WOULDN'T matter

2.) They match the slimmish, and they record MANY of their speeches and feelings in one seen and match the dialouge look and tone (like the arms thrown down on the "Darrrnt" was perfect)
    Then they send it to them to record their voices to it, and they work on it through editing

3.) The game has MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY emotions... THIS IS EA's BEST GAME YET!
    Honestly, they can create stuff too! But they don't...
    In 1 conversation "gossip", there is over 12 body motions!

The Sims 2 was the BEST choice for an easy machanima!
    It takes voice dialouge editing, but that equals the time to having to use external equipment to record RvB!

You have a built in high-def recording tool!
    The highest of the highest settings can get upto 6mb per second!!
    ^
    Can't wait for the DVD! (super HDTV)

• ViolaPrimus

ViolaPrimus

#101484 - 14 years ago

In reply to bigcat, #3:

1.) The baloons can be disabled in the settings (or erased even)

2.) The camera in this game is UNIVERSAL!! It is awsome, you can use it however, and the way you want!
    1st, and 3rd!

3.) Well, they erase all the other people I bet, because they have made their own community centers and houses.
    Yeah, and random generated people don't exist unless you go to the community lot.
    (Meadow Thayer is my wife... =), but no home even to visit)

It works out well, that is why TS2 was the best choice for a new show I think.

• ViolaPrimus

ViolaPrimus

#101492 - 14 years ago

In reply to ViolaPrimus, #7:

2.) Ohh, you mean "HOW"!!
    Tab! =)

• mew

mew

#101596 - 14 years ago

In reply to ViolaPrimus, #6:

1) Not true, actually.. :) There's a cheat you can use to turn off aging, so they wouldn't have to patch or hack anything. But yes, they probably would use the same save, wouldn't they?

• bigcat

bigcat

#101724 - 14 years ago

In reply to ViolaPrimus, #7:

Could you tell me where to disable the balloons in settings, please. I looked but couldn't figure out how to do it.
    Thanks.

• Mighty_Ack

Mighty_Ack

#103498 - 14 years ago

In reply to bigcat, #10:

You can't. Notice that all the shots have either been slowed, lowered to the point where it's just above their head or cut quickly between two shots so that they don't get in the way. The closest thing they could do to eliminate them is to go into something like adobe premiere and stick something on top of the movie afterwards but it's doubtful that they even do that since RT has said that they were going to do this series in a fashion that ANYBODY could do.

The "aging off" cheat has been mentioned - it was built into the game and takes about 2 seconds to lookup.

Lip synching has been covered already (notice the slowing down of some shots to match it up) in this thread and others

Sims 2 has a "Camera man" mode built into it that you can use by hitting tab and you can fly around the place recording what/when you want

For the neighbors you COULD eliminate all of them by throwing them back in the bin but it's a whole lot easier to have a free sim just "ask them to leave" off camera. It's not like it's hard to get the sims back into the same spot . At the worst if they get pissed at the neighbor they could always wall him off or pull a classic and take the ladder off the pool while he's not looking

• mew

mew

#104012 - 14 years ago

In reply to mew, #9:

Why the hell was I modded down for that? -_-

• Goat_Sucker

Goat_Sucker

#104038 - 14 years ago

Someone tell me what is wrong with "This is EA's best game YET!".

Here's a hint: Maxis makes the sim games. All of them. But I don't expect anyone here to know what SimEarth is.

• Kazoo

Kazoo

#104402 - 14 years ago

theres a code thats aging off and it turns off aging all together

• bigcat

bigcat

#104728 - 14 years ago

In reply to Mighty_Ack, #11:

Thanks, after watching The Strangerhood again, I started wondering if that was the case, since all the heards are framed so high. Oh well I guess I'll just have to learn to shoot around it. I'm off to reshoot my movies based on an old time radio comedy to get rid of those stupid balloons.

Here was take one, I'll have to see if take two is better or worse.
    http://thesims2.ea.com/sims2_userdata/53/101753/movie_FMM0101a.wmv
    http://thesims2.ea.com/sims2_userdata/53/101753/movie_FMM0102.wmv

• ViolaPrimus

ViolaPrimus

#109652 - 14 years ago

In reply to bigcat, #15:

You go in and erase those files...
    When I said settings, you also can disable it in your flags (you .ini stuff, kind of like that)

• bigcat

bigcat

#110957 - 14 years ago

In reply to ViolaPrimus, #16:

Thanks for trying to help me out there, but I don't think they can be disabled.
    The nice folks at Rooster Teeth sent me an email that said thay had simply shot around the dialogue balloons and had not disabled them.
    I recut my first movie, using similiar angles and such and I think the result was fairly good. If someone would take a look and make suggestions, I would be grateful.
    http://thesims2.ea.com/sims2_userdata/53/101753/movie_Fibber_and_Molly_Ep_01,_Scene_01.wmv

• FunkEye

FunkEye

#111206 - 14 years ago

In reply to Goat_Sucker, #13:

I do. That was a cool game.

• nicoletbn

nicoletbn

#111426 - 14 years ago

In reply to Goat_Sucker, #13:

The Sims 2 is more of an EA production than a Maxis production. Note earlier this year (around january?) they moved the whole staff for The Sims 2 from the Maxis studio to the base EA studio. It's still a Sim game, so it gets the logo, but that's meaning less and less these days. You can also notice that the Maxis logo is no longer featured prominently on the box (it's on the back, but it used to be on the front and sides).

SimEarth was cool, but SimTower was the best! ;)

• Trehk

Trehk

#112072 - 14 years ago

In reply to bigcat, #17:

Not bad! I'd advise against the extreme close-ups-- if the lip-synching isn't exactly right it looks wierd. Also, that circular-cut thing you did near the end is technically neat, but visually distracting. I'd go with a simple wipe.

The soundtrack was moderately amusing. I think with some effort you could probably come up with something funnier, but for the sheer mental exercise I think you did a fine job.