Forums > The Strangerhood

The Strangerhood better than RVB?

Posts (46)

• cybordemon

cybordemon

#106690 - 14 years ago

I think we just need to wait till more episodes come out of stranger too make any judgements on which is better...and I am with supergrover... RvB at least has caboose... for the time being... now it would be cool if RvB characters could be transported by accident or something into the strangerhood... Now that would make it even stranger wouldn't it!!!

• masterzora

masterzora

#106772 - 14 years ago

In reply to miniman2100, #1:

Well, I must say that RvB is much better than SH if you just go by the first episode of each (which is the only way to compare at the time being). As time unfolds, we'll be able to get a more accurate comparison, but I find RvB to be more memorable and worthwhile at this time.

On the other hand, I still have to give props to SH. It's pretty good for only one episode, meant to introduce EVERYBODY to the concept. It's amazing what they were able to do in this one because, although the basic actions could be made, it's pretty hard to get the details of those actions (such as the different gestures while talking) so that it'd match up with the script so well. Well done.

• eponymous

eponymous FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#107097 - 14 years ago

I laughed through the entire first episode of Strangerhood, but I was kind of drunk at the time.
    Anyway.
    SH and RVB are two very distinct kinds of "funny." To argue about which one is better is kind of like arguing whether Halo or The Sims is better--a lot of it has to do with what you're looking to get out of it. This is, of course, leaving aside the fact that we only have one fucking episode of SH by which to judge. One really has to expect a certain amount of exposition/setup when starting a new series. Personally, I'm finding it simultaneously exciting and disconcerting to be watching dialogue where I don't have to guess who's speaking by their exaggerated head movements.

• Doggiddablue

Doggiddablue

#107302 - 14 years ago

In reply to eponymous, #28:

I'm not sure which is better, seeing as TSH has only one episode, but I think I'm gunna stick with red vs blue. you have to give points to them for being classics, a sort of foundation for other machina shows...

• KarbonPhyber

KarbonPhyber

#107509 - 14 years ago

First off, i think it's far too early in The Strangerhood to begin comparing it to anything, let alone RvB. It's had only one real episode, and the series hasn't really had much of a chance to develop. That alone should be grounds enough to not bother comparing the two series for quite a while.

Secondly, if you want to compare pilots...I'd probably still say that RvB was better. I think The Strangerhood's pilot had a few moments during which I chuckled a bit, but RvB's first episode was much more laugh out loud funny to me. A big part of this was that the first episode (and a few of the subsequent ones) were primarily about pointing out the very absurdity behind the concepts of Halo and all games similar to it, and that despite this we still love it. Basically it was coming out and reminding us of what we all knew subconciously but never bothered to really think about. Here we are, on a map in the middle of a box canyon, no idea how we got here but we're gonna go and fight the other guys anyway just because. The Strangerhood made a similar commentary with the whole "who are we" and "what are we doing here" theme surfacing again, and we were even able to see a decent amount of character development despite them not having much concept of self so far. The only thing is that it wasn't executed quite as well as it was in RvB's first episode, but honestly, I don't think that's really a problem. RvB was one of the most original series I've seen produced, certainly the funniest from the very beginning, and to ask any other series to try and live up to that is asking quite a lot. I think The Strangerhood has excellent potential, and after watching two seasons of RvB, I have a feeling that the guys at Rooster Teeth have quite a lot up their sleeves that they're saving for later on in the series. Knowing these guys, this series will end up being incredibly funny, and in a different way than RvB is. Which is for the better, because it will show they've got the ability to produce multiple unique series at the same time, and I don't think any of us wants to see an RvB clone in a different game setting anyway. Expect The Strangerhood to be entertaining and funny, but don't hold it up against RvB; they are two totally different series and while there may be some similar themes, I have a feeling they will prove to quite different in the long run.

Now that I've bored and/or annoyed all of you with my longwinded opinion, I'm gonna go ahead and slip on the flame-retardant suit.

• Hishy

Hishy

#107518 - 14 years ago

At least the staff are trying something new. Isn't that important? I love RVB, but, come on, as Fgnn said, we're all expecting great things, and that kind of expectation is hard to live up to (or with). And, as a friend of mine said, "Any idiot can tear down a barn, but it takes a genius to suggest better ways of building it." Give them time. :) They awed us once, and I've no doubt they'll do it again.

• Judeki

Judeki

#107558 - 14 years ago

in RvB, they're also appealing to a different audience. does anyone remember them saying they're gonna keep the rating teen for this?

• gremlin66

gremlin66

#107758 - 14 years ago

In reply to Judeki, #32:

that's fer sure, The Sims is a lot more family oriented than Halo. You can send people into the shower and that sort of thing, but you'll never see them naked, unless you get the crack for the game. Halo was all about running and blowing people up, but in RvB there's maybe 3 or 4 actual battles out of 2 seasons. A friend of mine actually wouldn't watch the show when I introduced him to it because there was no fighting (short attention span) "When do they start fighting?" he'd say. (I know, -1 Lame)

Well, either way, TSH is funny, but it's going to be a different kind of funny from RvB by necessity.

• Zed

Zed

#108556 - 14 years ago

In reply to eponymous, #28:

halo is better

• Judeki

Judeki

#108691 - 14 years ago

In reply to Zed, #34:

That's not the point. Halo could be better or worse, the same for the sims 2, just like RvB for raw comedy, the Strangerhood is going for a different area. like i said ;

They're also appealing to a different audience.

Another qoute, although I can't remember the person who said it (off my memory, props though)

Arguing over the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.

Mean but funny, and effective.

• Judeki

Judeki

#108736 - 14 years ago

Found it. violaprimus posted this ;

funny_arguing.jpg

really mean. but a good metaphor for inernet forums.

• TUNNELRAT

TUNNELRAT

#110799 - 14 years ago

I'll reserve my opinion until we've seen a few more episodes.remember the RT team spent ages giving each of the characters recognizable personalities.

• simplesimon

simplesimon

#110864 - 14 years ago

lets all get a tip from simon on how to post on a forum like this. may your future posts be as coherent and non-offensive to the people who worked so hard on a project for you to enjoy. my post goes as follows.

"i like the strangerhood."

good day sirs.

• Fret

Fret

#111304 - 14 years ago

Well... I think RvB is better. Strangerhood seems to lack the same kind of spirit like RvB has, at least judging by the first episode. Also, the voice acting seemed a bit emotionless and I found the characters a bit dull. Well, Doc Chalmers and Dutchmiller were fun and all, but the rest of the cast in the episode seemed a bit dull. I'll probably be watching other episodes of the series as well, but this is my current opinion about it.

• mblaze

mblaze

#167416 - 14 years ago

I think to sum it all up I'd have to say. . . . . . maybe. . . . . . - yes that'll do.

But seriously it's wayyyyyy too early to make a comparison - however if you compare the first episode of The Strangerhood to the first episode of RvB then you'd almost have to say The Strangerhood is better - although they both start with almost exactly the same joke - "Why are we here?"

• mattfromPA

mattfromPA

#167449 - 14 years ago

Yeah, it's too early to make a comparison, because you are comparing two different online shows where one show is well established and into it's third season, while the other has only one episode released. I'd say you could compare the first episode of each series, in which I would still say RVB is still way better(but in spite of what many better will say, opinions aren't wrong). But since the Strangerhood is made by the same people who make RVB(which I love) I still think the Strangerhood has a chance to become a big hit.

• eponymous

eponymous FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#168534 - 14 years ago

Holy zombie thread, batman! Don't you kids have anything better to do than dig through piles of old posts?

• Mithhuanion

Mithhuanion

#169068 - 14 years ago

In reply to mattfromPA, #41:

Indeed. These kinds of threads really have no purpose. Maybe after this season we can compare the two first-seasons but they didn't even introduce all the characters. Too early, way too early.

• morpheuskyle

morpheuskyle

#171020 - 14 years ago

why do I have to choose??? Hmmmmm? RvB was my first love, so what then. SH comes along and all of a sudden, analogically speaking, its like I have two loves vying for my undying attention. Both are unique and special in their own way. Instead rather not choosing lets enjoy both.

• EDOX

EDOX

#172234 - 14 years ago

I like it. Since it just started it is hard to compaire to RvB. We'll see.

• Gryphonvere

Gryphonvere

#172277 - 14 years ago

In reply to EDOX, #45:

I like it. Since it just started it is hard to compaire to RvB. We'll see.

I couldn't have said it better (or shorter). =D