Forums > The Strangerhood

Episode 3 Links and Comments

Posts (149)

• PhantomFox

PhantomFox

#258036 - 14 years ago

I actually thought this eppisode was one of the better ones. Everyone's unique foibles are coming out. I had expected Doc Chalbers to be relativly normal, but he feels like he's on Survivor or something.
    Wade is awesome as always, and Sam is the Church-esque straight man, though not as abusive. Tovar is interesting, but I don't see his ridiculousness yet. As soon as they start filling out some of the other characters, this could be amazing.

• NYYMattS

NYYMattS

#258058 - 14 years ago

I have hopes that the show is going to get better and better, and it's amusing now, but I agree that the comedy just isn't as dense or as clever as in RvB, at this point. Part of it is that the writing doesn't seem as inspired, part is that the mystique of the faceless characters is replaced by broad emoting, and part of it is that the characters haven't been established all that well. I think it might have been better for RT to wait and release the first three or so episodes all together, because there's disappointment that she show, not much more than 12 or so minutes in, seems to have developed slowly. RvB had the Chupathingy routine by Episode 2 and the Donut/Caboose "general" mix-up by Episode 4, so despite being more "breezy," the show was getting intriguing pretty quickly. With Strangerhood, it seems like we've been waiting for all the introductions to get out of the way, and after a couple of months or so, it still hasn't happened.

That said, it's a free 5-minute show, so I'll keep waiting for it to click. The litmus test will be how many people decide to buy the DVD.

• NYYMattS

NYYMattS

#258198 - 14 years ago

Another thing that's missing from Strangerhood so far is the actual RELATIONSHIPS between the characters. Within the first three episodes of RvB, we had good scenes to establish that Sarge hates Grif, Simmons and Grif are like bickering siblings; I hate to "analyze" RvB, but Red Team seemed like a family, dysfunctional as it may be. Within three episodes, Blue Team seemed like a bunch of kids who would hang out after school, always fighting and knocking each other down, yet somehow staying together while getting into trouble. Each of the teams seemed like natural groups, and the way the characters played off each other was great, and the relationships have (mostly) stayed true all along.

Strangerhood may have a problem in that every episode seems like a bunch of characters each doing their own routine. We still have no sense of how anyone works as a group, and even when characters talk to each other, it seems very impersonal. If the Strangerhood doesn't start seeming more like a real group soon, it's going to be pretty tiresome.

(Sorry for wasting a lot of space to analyze internet cartoons)

• axeman

axeman FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#258201 - 14 years ago

Was that "Taps" playing in the end?

• FlaymKnight

FlaymKnight

#258266 - 14 years ago

In reply to NYYMattS, #30:

RvB had the story laid out faster because everyone knew what it was from the start, because everyone knows what the basic CTF game is and the surrounding scene. In The Strangerhood, it's completely new and out of no where. I don't think RT is used to that and they're having trouble getting it all laid out in a timely manner the way they want it to.

Now, for the comments on Ep 3. Pretty good, but the audience has to end soon. I couldn't hear most of the lines over the laughter. But I wasn't expecting the fish to die. I'm guessing some one at RT has a thing for some Shiela chick and is putting her in everywhere. But that doesn't matter much. Let's see, what else.... good dialogue after the fish arrive between Sam, Tovar, and Chalmers. Was quite humerous, especially the eating of the fish should their lives depend on it.

That's it. Now to wait a fortnight for Episode 4

• geffin98

geffin98

#258270 - 14 years ago

In reply to NYYMattS, #30:

Yeah but, to me, the difference is that at the start of RVB it was blatantly obvious that the guys had been in Blood Gulch for, at least, a period of time. We could tell that everyone knew each other (well except , of course, for Caboose and Donut, but that's because they were rookies). Whereas in the Strangerhood no one knew where they were or why. We/they still don't. Heck, they didn't even know their own names! Making friends is probably not so high on my "to do" list if I don't know who I am, where I am or why.

• Sucineri

Sucineri

#258331 - 14 years ago

I couldn't hear what was going on because the audience laughtrack was so loud, and I just think the laughtrack ruins the whole show. I sat through it til I thought something else was gonna happen. The thing with the fish though was pretty good, and I think that was because there was no laughtrack.

Overall I think the whole Strangerhood IDEA is good, but the follow-thru is incredibly lacking. And after watching 3 episodes I am just giving it up all together.

• obsidity

obsidity

#258376 - 14 years ago

I think the audience is supposed to be annoying. It's supposed to put you off balance. The cahracters are confused, we're confused, They're unwilling entertainment for a group of watchers that are not seen. The lines that they were saying when there was an audience were far more stereotypical sitcom stuff. When the audience went away there was a bit more of the actual interactions... which were a lot funnier.
    It's self reflective, it's surreal, and it's meta. It's like reality show meets Sartre's "No Exit"....
    I could be totally off the mark with this. But after this episode I am definitely a lot more intrigued to see where they go.

• FlaymKnight

FlaymKnight

#258391 - 14 years ago

In reply to obsidity, #35:

Is it just me, or did the borders of the video screen widen and narrow around the time the fish was delivered?

• NYYMattS

NYYMattS

#258399 - 14 years ago

In reply to geffin98, #33:

Right, but that's why they needed to lay out the relationships pretty quickly. I know that a 3-minute, bi-weekly internet cartoon can't develop too quickly, but I'm saying that I don't think the show will be funny until characters can start to play off each other for more than two lines of dialogue at a time.

• Groovester

Groovester

#258561 - 14 years ago

I hope you're right. So far I haven't seen the spark yet. Maybe it is because I am not as connected to Sims as I am Halo.

• ChivaGris

ChivaGris

#258572 - 14 years ago

my hope for this series died soon after that fish...

• SmackleFunky

SmackleFunky

#258705 - 14 years ago

In reply to Sucineri, #34:

I couldn't hear what was going on because the audience laughtrack was so loud, and I just think the laughtrack ruins the whole show. I sat through it til I thought something else was gonna happen.

I think in this episode the laugh track had more of a personality than in the others, and that the characters interacted with it more. The fact that the characters get extremely irritated by the laugh track in the exact same way that we do was a good thing. For them the laugh track was just as fake, obtrusive and disturbing as it is for us. Which is good.

If we, the audience, hates the laugh track with a vengeance then it is a good thing. My guess is that that is what RT had intended. Entertainment isn't just about providing hunerous, easy to take enjoyment. its about inspiring other emotions, even bad ones.

Plus the fact that Tovar enjoys the laugh track makes it even more funny.

If all goes well, I think the laugh track can give a nice big surprise at some point, which would be so much enjoyable now that we hate it so much. And if it wasn't for its insistence in being in our way and causing a lot of distress, the "surprise" wouldn't be as enjoyable.

• Pismo

Pismo

#258783 - 14 years ago

This episode was not funny, at all. I didn't even get a smile on my face when the obvious jokes were implied. And really, it was boring. The Strangerhood relizes heavly on writing, because you can't really have action scenes like in RvB. And the writing for this episode sucked. I enjoyed Episode 2, and I laughed openly when I watched it, but you guys took more than a few steps back with this one. The episode really feels rushed, and I much rather get something of higher quality, even if it does take another day or two longer to get.

• geffin98

geffin98

#258833 - 14 years ago

I must admit, I don't get it. I don't see how people can say that one episode was funny and the next one bad...they seem to be written in the same style with the same sense of humour. Maybe that's just me though and I'm on crack or something.

• FlaymKnight

FlaymKnight

#258883 - 14 years ago

In reply to Pismo, #41:

Pismo... hmm, must be short for "Piss and Moan". If you had been reading ANY other threads you'd know by now that SH and RvB are two different shows. SH isn't here as much to make us laugh as it is to make us think and, as already stated, use other emotions than just happyness. Maybe there'll be a laugh in there. So of course it relies more on writing. It's an actual show and a spoof of a show. There's more plot than Rvb. It's different than Rvb. It's not RvB. Accept this and shut the smeg up!

• SmackleFunky

SmackleFunky

#258935 - 14 years ago

In reply to FlaymKnight, #43:

hehehe.. smeg. I just bought season 5 to complete my collection again.

I wonder what would happen if RT decided to make Strangerhood a drama. Not comedy based, but story/event based. Maybe thats what it is now. Boy that would throw a lot of people off. There would be like, issues and stuff.

• Machinehead

Machinehead

#258942 - 14 years ago

In reply to Pismo, #41:

Pismo... hmm, must be short for "Piss and Moan". If you had been reading ANY other threads you'd know by now that SH and RvB are two different shows. SH isn't here as much to make us laugh as it is to make us think and, as already stated, use other emotions than just happyness. Maybe there'll be a laugh in there. So of course it relies more on writing. It's an actual show and a spoof of a show. There's more plot than Rvb. It's different than Rvb. It's not RvB. Accept this and shut the smeg up!

Wait, who told you that it was made to make us think?

• FlaymKnight

FlaymKnight

#258965 - 14 years ago

In reply to Machinehead, #45:

I was building off the idea previously planted in Post #40 by SmackleFunky*. They stated it was about inspiring emotions and I took it to go hand in hand with the viewers *gasp* think. Whether my continuation is accurate or not, oh well, but just remember how many people were going into various threads and trying to figure out who died. (None of whom guessed the fish.)

• axeman

axeman FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#259014 - 14 years ago

If this episode ended with Taps shouldn't the nevtone start with Revelee?

• FlaymKnight

FlaymKnight

#259051 - 14 years ago

In reply to axeman, #47:

Could be. Guess we just have to wait a few weeks to find out. Though hopefully not in the style they did Taps in. That's kinda annoying. Probly just take the trumpet playing it from RvB. They already have it, so why not?

• axeman

#259096 - 14 years ago

In reply to FlaymKnight, #48:

Yeah, it would be hard to speed that song up any more...

• FlaymKnight

FlaymKnight

#259117 - 14 years ago

In reply to axeman, #49:

No, I just don't like the way it sounds is all.

• Goat_Sucker

Goat_Sucker

#259183 - 14 years ago

I am actually a little annoyed by some of the negative comments. Some are valid, but most are just derivitive.

It is written like a corny sitcom on purpose. You've all watched Seinfeld and Friends. You know the formula. Don't get mad because it is different from Blood Gulch, which is NOT a sitcom spoof. The timing, the jokes, everything is timed to be like a sitcom.

That being said, it was an excellent episode. I loved the continuity.

• OriginalName

OriginalName

#259235 - 14 years ago

In reply to Goat_Sucker, #51:

This series, like I believed from the get go, is really improving and has so much potential. The mouths are moving more succinctly, problems are arising, and another Shiela has been added that isn't human.

Wonderful.