Forums > The Truly British Group

Mongrel Nation

Posts (2)

• DocRossim

DocRossim

#30673561 - 9 years ago

One of the things that makes Britain great is the diversity of its people.

We're a nation forged from four countries, which in turn were cobbled together out of lots of little kingdoms and princedoms and various warring territories; we've been invaded, colonised, migrated to, over and over again, and thus our fair isles have a huge mixture of people whose ancestry trances from all over the globe! From Asia to the Americas, Botswana to Norway... and... lots of other extremes of hot, cold, east, west, north and south and everything in between.

So, I was wondering how many of us know our own ancestry: where do your forebears hale from?

I find that kind of thing interesting.

• DocRossim

DocRossim

#30673562 - 9 years ago

Okay, I'll start:

I don't know a lot about my Dad's family, only that our surname is an old English one, from the germanic Anglo-Saxon and that there's probably some Viking in the family on account of my Dad's chunky bone-structure and red hair. smiley4.gif

On my Mother's side though the male line is Scottish, but the last person to actually live in Scotland was my great-great-grandfather. My Granddad does have a kilt somewhere in the loft though with the family tartan.
    My great grandmother's parents on my Mother's Mother's side were Dutch.
    I'm also pretty sure that they're some Greek in in my Mother's family somewhere, on account of some of our facial features and a tendency of a year-round tan. Ironically, I'm quite pale, get that from my Dad I think.