• kittehrubs

kittehrubs

#31158428 - 8 years ago

Then why is it called 'adult language'?

HAI.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#31158429 - 8 years ago

I would have to say that there is a conflict between the beliefs of those who claim cursing to be immature and those who claim it to be "adult language." However, that being said, if one was to claim both to be true, not only are the incoherent as to their personal ideals, but they do not understand the culture they currently reside in. By this, I mean that many are beginning to find that certain words that were pigeon holed into being a "curse word" no longer qualify to be a curse word. Nowadays, you find that derogatory words are more commonly put into the "adult language" slot, and curse words are becoming more common.

• kittehrubs

kittehrubs

#31158430 - 8 years ago

I didn't expect anything back from this, or at that, something that in depth. but I agree, lul.

• Dunharrow

Dunharrow

#31158431 - 8 years ago

Isn't it usually called 'coarse' language?

The following program is rated R for mature themes and immature language. Hmm... doesn't sound all that right.

• RealRed

RealRed

#31158432 - 8 years ago

It's called adult because it sounds exciting to kids, as though if you want to be an adult, you curse. It's like smoking and drinking; it appears as the "adult" thing to do.
    Wait, that means I'm an enabler.

I have to stop cursing.

Son of a bitch.

• Crystal0Rose

Crystal0Rose

#31158433 - 8 years ago

I think cursing is considered immature language because it is so often used to insult something, and insults tend to lean towards the "immature" ideals of society. Sorta like, "Neener-neener-boo-boo!" only a little more severe.

At the same time it's adult language because . . . well, because people think children 16 and under are too immature to use words like f*ck and sh*t responsibly, sorta like the topic of sex, where children giggle when you say "penis".

As far as where I stand on the issue, I don't care if people curse. However, something that peeves me is when people substitute "cuss" for curse, or "PO'd" for pissed off. At my school, we were given detention if we used the word "suck" or any of its derivations. I mean, curse and suck? Come on, people, those words don't even COMPARE to words like sh*t, motherf*cker, as*hole, and douche bag. Another one people are starting to get overly-sensitive about is nigger. Publishing companies have taken Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and replaced every "nigger" with slave.

How long before cuss, PO'd, and slave become curse words?

• Knight375

Knight375

#31158434 - 8 years ago

It is interesting to note, how one sentence can spark paragraph long responses.

• RealRed

RealRed

#31158435 - 8 years ago

In reply to Knight375, #7:

Some things can only be said in paragraph form. Everything else is a curse or a grunt.

• Knight375

Knight375

#31158436 - 8 years ago

In reply to RealRed, #8:

Well put.

• Brick2011

Brick2011

#31158437 - 8 years ago

I believe people are far too sensitive these days to what other people say, such as the nursery rhymes and how they are now changing them... they were a part of our history, we grew up fine, so why are we stopping the next generations that follow? I think its more or less a lot of people who use these words are immature, not the words themselves.

• Kairi15

Kairi15

#31158438 - 7 years ago

Eh, cursing is taken the wrong way in most cases. Cursing has been over exaggerated ever year. Coming from someone who doesn't much care if someone curses, i think it's a good/bad way to get your point across

for instance

IT'S FUCKING SNOWING WHERE I LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X3

Post edited 1/11/12 10:01PM

• Dunharrow

Dunharrow

#31158439 - 7 years ago

In reply to Kairi15, #11:

It snowed tremendously here today. Buses couldn't get up hills, cars required deshoveling (fuck you spell-check), visibility was reduced to "Isn't there a traffic light at this intersection?".

And yet, people were riding their bikes up and down the mountain. And I wondered to myself: "How does one ride a bike with such huge balls?"