Forums > Words

Got some thing to say?

Posts (943)

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306967 - 8 years ago

In reply to RealRed, #51:

Normally the pharmaceutical companies choose the names for the drugs after the chemical composition, but for advertising purposes, they normally hire a group that comes up with interesting names that involve the components of the drug.

• RealRed

RealRed

#30306968 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #52:

Good thinking, but it's also important to know that certain drugs have different names in different places. Acetaminophen in the US is paracetamol in Europe. Some drugs may have multiple brand names. Prinvil is also Zestril, for example.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306969 - 8 years ago

In reply to RealRed, #53:

Indeed. However, that the reason behind the multiple names is because of each pharmaceutical company's version of the product, even if it has one chemical signature different from the original product. From then on, the marketing campaigns can only be called successful if the individuals in the market remember the name of the drug, such as Zoloft, Prozac, Advair, Singulair, Nicorete, and Pristiq.

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30306970 - 8 years ago

word of the day

kenspeckle \ KEN-spek-uhl \ , adjective;

Conspicuous; easily seen or recognized.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306971 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #55:

that's quite an obscure word.

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30306972 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #56:

obscure word for something conspicuous? hmmmm......

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306973 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #57:

Irony wins this situation XD

• mama

#30306974 - 8 years ago

word of the day, and I've always loved this word

soupcon \soop-SAWN\, noun:

A slight trace, as of a particular taste or flavor. (The ancestor of soupcon is also the Latin root for the English suspicion.)

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306975 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #59:

interesting, possibly referring to the slight taste of poison in food, or the subtlety of ingredients added into courses.

• RealRed

RealRed

#30306976 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #60:

Considering its ancestor is a root for suspicion, I'm going for the taste of poison. That, or its a soup lover's convention.

• daisysweetz

daisysweetz

#30306977 - 8 years ago

Okay, I know some words. I'll see what this group has to offer. :)

• mama

#30306978 - 8 years ago

word of the day

quaggy \KWAG-ee\, adjective:

1. Marshy; boggy.
    2. Soft or flabby.

LOVE the sound of this word - yes I'm strange

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306979 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #63:

don't worry, no one is normal ^_^

• mama

#30306980 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #64:

well, I also like calling myself quaggy rather than flabby (old and getting softer and squishier).

Post edited 9/16/10 10:36AM

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306981 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #65:

It does seem to have a more positive tone to it =D

• mama

#30306982 - 8 years ago

word of the day

osculate

[os-kyuh-leyt]
    verb, -lat·ed, -lat·ing.
    –verb (used without object)
    1. to come into close contact or union.
    2. Geometry . (of a curve) to touch another curve or another part of the same curve so as to have the same tangent and curvature at the point of contact.
    –verb (used with object)
    3. to bring into close contact or union.
    4. Geometry . (of a curve) to touch (another curve or another part of the same curve) in osculation.
    5. to kiss.

Origin:
    1650–60; < L &#333;scul&#257;tus (ptp. of &#333;scul&#257;r&#299; to kiss), equiv. to &#333;scul ( um ) kiss, lit., little mouth ( see osculum) + -&#257;tus -ate1

—Related forms
    os·cu·la·to·ry &#8194;/&#712;&#594;sky&#601;l&#601;&#716;t&#596;ri, -&#716;to&#650;ri/
    [os-kyuh-luh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee]
    , adjective
    un·os·cu·lat·ed, adjective

somehow osculating just doesn't sound like as much fun as kissing

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306983 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #67:

That's why people think less of the English language more than others; it's constant changing.

• mama

#30306984 - 8 years ago

word of the day

jactation \jak-TEY-shuhn\, noun:

1. A restless tossing of the body.
    2. Boasting; bragging.

this word just sounds dirty

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306985 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #69:

indeed =D

• RealRed

RealRed

#30306986 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #69:

Um...yeah. I'm at a loss for words.

• phoenix229

phoenix229

#30306987 - 8 years ago

In reply to RealRed, #53:

Acetaminophen is the name of the active ingredient in the product, not of the product itself.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306988 - 8 years ago

In reply to phoenix229, #72:

paracetamol is the generic form of acetaminophen. Acetaminophen was actually marketed by its name until its patent was up, where corporations took on brand names for it, such as Tylenol.

• phoenix229

phoenix229

#30306989 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #73:

You can actually still find Acetaminophen sold under that name in many stores. In California, at least, it's considered the "generic" form of Tylenol. My boyfriend learned how to make it in one of his chemistry labs as an undergraduate. Maybe I should start selling my own brand?

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30306990 - 8 years ago

In reply to phoenix229, #74:

after you get FDA approval, go for it!

• mama

#30306991 - 8 years ago

word of the day

frabjous \FRAB-juhs\, adjective:

Wonderful, elegant, superb, or delicious.

Frabjous is one of many words coined by Lewis Caroll in Through the Looking-Glass.

As in "Mama is looking frabjous today!"

Post edited 9/24/10 11:24AM