Forums > Words

Got some thing to say?

Posts (943)

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30307793 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #877:

Describes most politicitians and TV preachers.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307794 - 6 years ago

In reply to mama, #878:

and used car salesmen, anyone peddling anything door-to-door, and in my experience, concierges.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307795 - 6 years ago

Word of the day

vociferous

adj.
    crying out noisily; clamorous.

• Kairi15

Kairi15

#30307796 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #880:

I feel like that every time i take a college exam

• Maru

Maru

#30307797 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #877:

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #880:

Glad you're back. I keep forgetting to post new words. I'm just not good at doing things regularly. Is there a word to describe that aspect of one's character? I also start thinking of one thing and end up with a totally different subject. It's like walking into a room and forgetting why you went there. But anyways, good to hear from you again.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307798 - 6 years ago

In reply to Maru, #882:

Thanks. You might be thinking of remiss. Or perhaps perfunctory.

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30307799 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #883:

In my case it's maturity (old age) that causes that.

• Maru

Maru

#30307800 - 6 years ago

So I'm reading a text on linguistics and there are so many words that spark associations or that I need to look up:
    "Mental" sparks the association "mental disconnect", which I look up and brings me to "dissocial personality disorder" and "dissociative identity disorder".
    "Caveat" I have never seen before.
    "Beleaguered" sounds familiar but I didn't know.
    The term "random distribution" makes me read up on probability theories.
    God-knows-what reminds me of "right-handed protein" bringing us to the

Word of the day

chirality

-noun

Also called "dissymmetry" the configuration or handedness (left or right) of an asymmetric, optically active chemical compound,
    or in a more general sense
    The characteristic of a structure that makes it impossible to superimpose it on its mirror image. Also called handedness.

No wonder that it takes me forever to finish reading.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307801 - 6 years ago

In reply to Maru, #885:

Sounds like you need more pictures in your texts

• Maru

Maru

#30307802 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #886:

I really do. I would love a text on pragmatic linguistics in the style of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that was an awesome book.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307803 - 6 years ago

In reply to Maru, #887:

All text books should be made to conform to The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Seussian rhyme. I'd love for my doctor to examine me and muse, "You feet are blue, your face is red. Is it your shoe? Perhaps your bed?"

• Maru

Maru

#30307804 - 6 years ago

Word of the day

abjection

-noun

1. the condition of being servile, wretched, or contemptible.
    2. the act of humiliating.
    3. in art: fascination with transgression and taboo.

I learned this word yesterday in a literature class. The way I understood it there was that it is the fascination of something completely abhorrent and the resulting paradoxical feeling of desire and disgust. The professor's example was "the vampire" as a reminder and bringer of death but also a promise of immortality.
    I think this is one of those words that will take me a while to fully comprehend or to "grok" - that would also be a nice Word of the day .

• mama

#30307805 - 6 years ago

I In reply to Maru, #889:

I always associate this word with poverty - as in abject poverty. That's how I see it used most often.

• Maru

Maru

#30307806 - 6 years ago

We should do more of these word things, I think I need them. If everybody puts in a few words this thread could become autarkic. Hey, that's today's secret word! I mean

Word of the day

autarky

-noun

1. the condition of self-sufficiency, especially economic, as applied to a nation.
    2. a national policy of economic independence.

• Maru

Maru

#30307807 - 6 years ago

Word of the day

syncopation

-noun

1. Music: a shifting of the normal accent, usually by stressing the normally unaccented beats.
    2. something, as a rhythm or a passage of music, that is syncopated.
    3. Also called counterpoint, counterpoint rhythm. Prosody: the use of rhetorical stress at variance with the metrical stress of a line of verse.

I remember learning about syncopation during piano lessons. As an example the teacher said if you'd pronounce Maru on the first instead of the last syllable it would be "stressing the normally unaccented beat", which was actually the exact opposite; for some reason many people put the emphasis wrong in my name 50/50 chance there, I guess . Here's a general rule: Korean first names usually have two syllables and the stress is always on the first.

for comparison:

syncope

-noun

1. Grammar the contraction of a word by omitting one or more sounds from the middle, as in the reduction of never to ne'er.
    2. Pathology brief loss of consciousness associated with transient cerebral anemia, as in heart block, sudden lowering of the blood pressure, etc.; fainting.

Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night. 16th century pick up lines ;)

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307808 - 6 years ago

In reply to Maru, #892:

I love syncopation. As a drummer, if i'm really into what i'm listening to i will tap the time with my fingers (or feet, or both) but i always find i end up playing the off beats. It's like i want to hit every note except the main ones, just coz i can. I'm sure to anyone watching i just look rhythmically retarded, but I know I'm not. In my own little world, I'm cool .

And also, 16th century pickup lines FTW. You would get some serious bustle with that kind of oratory.

• Maru

Maru

#30307809 - 6 years ago

Word of the day

hubbub

-noun

1. a loud, confused noise, as of many voices.
    2. tumult; uproar.

I actually first learned the word "hubbub" from the RT podcast because Burnie likes to use it.
    I know it's not a very exotic word but we don't want to be word snobs, we love all the words ;) Also, I like how funny it sounds.

• Kairi15

Kairi15

#30307810 - 6 years ago

In reply to Maru, #894:

My Zoology Lab Exam is gonna be a bunch of hubbub smiley2.gifsmiley3.gif

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307811 - 6 years ago

In reply to Kairi15, #895:

My Biochemistry exam focusing of metabolism is going to be surrounded by people in a hubbub.

metabolism.jpg

• Kairi15

Kairi15

#30307812 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #896:

Now THAT makes me want to cry

• mama

#30307813 - 6 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #896:

That looks more like a map designed to confuse and befuddle. And it would make me dissolve into a puddle of mama mush.

• Maru

Maru

#30307814 - 6 years ago

Word of the day

homonym

-noun

1. Phonetics. a word pronounced the same as another but differing in meaning, whether spelled the same way or not, as heir and air; a homophone.
    2. a word that is both a homophone and a homograph, that is, exactly the same as another in sound and spelling but different in meaning.
    [...]

You know how boobies in English can mean both a type of seabird and breasts? In German it's the same for pugs. In my neighborhood there's a woman I see sometimes that has three dogs, all pugs, and everytime I see her I think, "Hey, it's the lady with the three boobies". Makes me laugh every time.

• Kairi15

Kairi15

#30307815 - 6 years ago

In reply to Maru, #899:

I understand, yet I don't understand it at the same time XD

• Maru

Maru

#30307816 - 6 years ago

In reply to Kairi15, #900:

Word of the day

doublethink

-noun

the acceptance of two contradictory ideas or beliefs at the same time. coined by George Orwell in his novel 1984.

• Maru

Maru

#30307817 - 6 years ago

Hello word friends. Time for another:

Word of the day

parochial

-adjective

1. of or pertaining to a parish or parishes.
    2. of or pertaining to parochial schools or the education they provide.
    3. very limited or narrow in scope or outlook; provincial: parochial views; a parochial mentality.

So the meaning went from small community, to small community's education, to narrow mindedness? That's pretty pejorative oh another nice word! I like how it sounds though.

Also, on a different note, I recently watched this TED talk from a book lover - and thus fellow word friend - about why introversion matters. Maybe you're interested.