Forums > Words

Got some thing to say?

Posts (943)

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30306992 - 8 years ago

word of the day - and it is so appropriate for this community site (I say this at the risk of offending many a young fellow)

hobbledehoy \HOB-uhl-dee-hoy\, noun:

An awkward, gawky young fellow.

now doesn't that sound better than nerd or geek or whatever else is the current term?

• daisysweetz

daisysweetz

#30306993 - 8 years ago

I just got hobbledehoy as my word of the day on dictionary.com. :)

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30306994 - 8 years ago

In reply to daisysweetz, #78:

I get words from various sources - sometimes I get them from dictionary.com smiley8.gif , and sometimes from a good old print dictionary that I read often and keep handy. I also come across words as I read and make notes. So now you know.....

Do you every play the games on Dictionary.com? They have some great little time wasters.

• mama

#30306995 - 8 years ago

word of the day

co·mes·ti·ble
    [kuh-mes-tuh-buhl]

–adjective
    1. edible; eatable.
    –noun
    2. Usually, comestibles. articles of food; edibles: The table was spread with all kinds of comestibles.

the only place I've ever actually seen this word in print (other than the dictionary) is in English novels

Post edited 9/27/10 6:35PM

• daisysweetz

daisysweetz

#30306996 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #79:

I never have play the games, just have the word of the day sent to my email. Seems as though it might be a good idea. Thanks!

• Dunharrow

Dunharrow

#30306997 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #28:

word of the day

foudroyant \foo-DROI-uhnt\, adjective:

1. Overwhelming and sudden in effect.
    2. Pathology. (Of disease) beginning in a sudden and severe form.
    3. Striking as with lightning.

didn't know where else to post this - but I like picking a word of the day - something new to me (I read dictionaries)

It's from the French verb 'foudroyer', which refers to lightning striking.
    But it can also refer to other things - that suddenly kill you.

• mama

#30306998 - 8 years ago

word of the day

ly·sis (lss)
    n. pl. ly·ses (-sz)
    1. Biochemistry The dissolution or destruction of cells, such as blood cells or bacteria, as by the action of a specific lysin that disrupts the cell membrane.
    2. Medicine The gradual subsiding of the symptoms of an acute disease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[New Latin, from Latin, a loosening, from Greek lusis, from lein, to loosen; see leu- in Indo-European roots.]

this is one I am very familiar with in my work - a large part of my job is reading operative notes and abstracting billing codes - a very common procedure is lysis of adhesions, a.k.a. adhesiolysis.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30306999 - 8 years ago

This is a fascinating, random thread.

My name is Paul, and i use words.

I used to get paid to use them. Now as a student and freelance writer, i have to use them and wish i was getting paid for it.
    I guess that makes me an addict.
    Or an idiot.
    Possibly both.

I love onomatopoeia and well used alliteration.
    Songwriters make me wish i was that clever with succinct phrases.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307000 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #84:

Hi, Paul.

=D

• mama

#30307001 - 8 years ago

word of the day

Gesundheit [(guh- zoont -heyt)]

German for “good health.†Like the English phrase “Bless you,†it is conventionally said to someone who has just sneezed. This reflects the superstition that a sneeze can cause the soul to fly out of the body; saying the phrase prevents this from happening.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307002 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #86:

I like that it sounds much like a sneeze itself.

So then the original sneezer feels obligated to say 'bless you,' or 'Gesundheit' and perpetuate the cycle.

• RealRed

RealRed

#30307003 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #83:

I'm more familiar with the first part of the term.

Autolysis, or in essence, cellular suicide.

• RealRed

RealRed

#30307004 - 8 years ago

"Failure is success if we learn from it."

-Malcolm Forbes

• mama

#30307005 - 8 years ago

In reply to RealRed, #88:

I'm familiar with cellular suicide too - but my cell phone deciding to die on me is probably not what you're talking about.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307006 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #90:

Isn't Cellular Suicide when you text your ex while drunk, or decide to employ the camera feature after a big night out?

• mama

#30307007 - 8 years ago

word of the day

consanguinity (ˌkɒnsæŋˈɡwɪnɪtɪ)

— n
    1. relationship by blood; kinship
    2. close affinity or connection
    3. geology (of igneous rocks) similarity of origin, as shown by common mineral and chemical compositions and often texture

I've run across this word in several different sources over the last two weeks - seems like I'm supposed to post it here

• phoenix229

phoenix229

#30307008 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #92:

I love that word.

• mama

#30307009 - 8 years ago

word of the day - because it describes me today

lackadaisical
    — adj
    1. lacking vitality and purpose
    2. lazy or idle, esp in a dreamy way

[C18: from earlier lackadaisy, extended form of lackaday ]

1768, from interjection lackadaisy "alas, alack" (1748), an alteration of lack-a-day (1690s), from alack the day. Hence, "given to crying 'lack-a-day,' vapidly sentimental." Sense probably altered by influence of lax. Related: Lackadaisically .

• phoenix229

phoenix229

#30307010 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #94:

Another favorite! And one that also describes my day as well.

smiley13.gif

• RealRed

RealRed

#30307011 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #94:

IT'S ME!!!

"For a minute there, I lost myself."
    -Radiohead

• mama

#30307012 - 8 years ago

word of the day

saturnine

— adj
    1. having a gloomy temperament; taciturn
    2. archaic
    a. of or relating to lead
    b. having or symptomatic of lead poisoning

[C15: from French saturnin, from Medieval Latin sāturnīnus (unattested), from Latin Sāturnus Saturn, with reference to the gloomy influence attributed to the planet Saturn]

"gloomy, morose, sluggish, grave," 1433, lit. "born under the influence of the planet Saturn," from M.E. Saturne (see Saturn). Medieval physiology believed these characteristics to be caused by the astrological influence of the planet Saturn, which was the most remote from the Sun (in the limited knowledge of the times) and thus coldest and slowest in its revolution.

I didn't realize this referred to lead poisoning. I love learning!

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307013 - 8 years ago

I like the cosanguinuity of the last two Words Of The Day.
    Make that the last three now.

New challenge: use the last two WOTD in a sentence.
    Bonus points for using the last three.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307014 - 8 years ago

"There was a certain cosanguinuity to the words of the day, but my saturnine mood and lacksadaisical work ethic left the potential unexplored on the page where i found it."

• mama

#30307015 - 8 years ago

Kudos to the wordmaster, Rev_Pleb!

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307016 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #99:

In reply to mama, #100:

I sense a friendly competition is on the brink of occurrence....

Post edited 10/18/10 2:00PM