Forums > Words

Got some thing to say?

Posts (943)

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30307017 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #101:

no, no, no! It's all admiration on my side! I love word people.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307018 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #102:

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #101:

I just have too much time on my hands.

With two assignments due, this is how i procrastinate.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307019 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #103:

At least it is productive procrastination...if there is such a thing.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307020 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #104:

Well creative at least.

'Procrastinate' is the word of the year for me.

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30307021 - 8 years ago

One of my favorite authors is P D James. I always find new words in her books, plus she writes great mysteries. Word of the day came from her book Murder Room -

casuist
    — n
    1. a person, esp a theologian, who attempts to resolve moral dilemmas by the application of general rules and the careful distinction of special cases
    2. a person who is oversubtle in his or her analysis of fine distinctions; sophist

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307022 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #106:

so,basically every Greek who had dialogue in The Iliad and The Odyssey

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307023 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #106:

"A particularly saturnine casuist, Morris found his reflections on lifes dilemmas would continually circle back to the book of Ecclesiastes."

• mama

#30307024 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #108:

Bravo!

• mama

#30307025 - 8 years ago

word of the day

ex·cres·cence   [ik-skres-uhns]

–noun
    1. an abnormal outgrowth, usually harmless, on an animal or vegetable body.
    2. a normal outgrowth, as hair or horns.
    3. any disfiguring addition.
    4. abnormal growth or increase

icky word - even sounds icky

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307026 - 8 years ago

"Ever the casuist, Meredith lay awake at nights trying to decide if the excrescence she discovered was a verruca or a common wart."

I am enjoying this challenge way, way too much. Someone else feel free to contribute!

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307027 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #111:

told you so. ^_^

• mama

#30307028 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #111:

I think this one is all yours - you're way too good for competition.

• mama

#30307029 - 8 years ago

word of the day

jock·te·leg

–noun British Dialect .
    a large clasp knife or pocketknife; jackknife.
    Also, joktaleg.

Origin:
    1665–75; orig. Scots; first attested as jackteleg, perh. with Jack, Jock and leg, alluding to knife handles carved in the form of a leg

came across this word in Robert Burns' poem Halloween

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307030 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #114:

of course the Scots came up with a new form of knife; we're always creative =D

• mama

#30307031 - 8 years ago

word of the day

xanthous

1. yellow
    2. yellowish

1829, from Gk. xanthos "yellow," of unknown origin. Prefix form xantho- is used in many scientific words; cf. xanthein (1857) "soluble yellow coloring matter in flowers," Huxley's Xanthochroi (1867) "blond, light-skinned races of Europe" (with okhros "pale"), xanthophyll (1838) "yellow coloring matter in autumn leaves." smiley5.gif

and a second word for today - because yesterday was my birthday and I feel generous and extra smart to boot

dastard

-noun
    1. a mean, sneaking coward
    -adj
    2. of or befitting a dastard; mean, sneaky, or cowardly

mid-15c., "one who is lazy or dull;" an English formation on a French model, probably from *dast , "dazed," pp. of dasen "to daze" + (see daze) + deprecatory suffix -ard. Meaning "one who shirks from danger" is late 15c.

I was married to two world class dastards. Cause I may be word smart, but I have terrible taste in men. Fortunately the third time was the charm and I picked a winner. So there's a lesson in there somewhere for all of you. Figure it out on your own.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307032 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #116:

I am looking for an opportunity to call someone "a xanthous dastard" this week.

I'm thinking it will be someone smaller than me though, and far enough away that i have a good head start.

• mama

#30307033 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #117:

please, please let us know how it turns out

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307034 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #117:

indeed, inform us of the outcome; I'm sure it will be hilarious =D

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307035 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #118:

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #119:

I have struck a problem with the plan.
    My options were:
    A) i call one of my children a 'xanthous dastard' (which could be warranted at times) and then face the fact that i have given permission, nay encouragement for them to repeat the phrase ever after, or,
    B) i use it on my good friend and minister, with whom i share an office. Again, it would not be out of place as we have a relationship based upon personal abuse and wisecracks, but he is away for two weeks on paternity leave.

So now i'm left with insulting strangers or my wife. I don't like my chances here.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307036 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #120:

Well, it was a good idea in theory....

• mama

#30307037 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #120:

I vote for strangers - you always have a 50/50 chance of being right

• mama

#30307038 - 8 years ago

word of the day

sa·ga·cious
    [suh-gey-shuhs]
    –adjective
    1. having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd: a sagacious lawyer.
    2. Obsolete . keen of scent.

[C17: from Latin sagāx, from sāgīre to be astute]

Synonyms
    1. wise, sage, discerning, clever, intelligent, judicious, acute, sharp, keen, perspicacious.

This is a fabulous word. You should find a use for it at least once a day. Promise?

• phoenix229

phoenix229

#30307039 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #123:

Promise!

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307040 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #121:

Problem solved.

I refered to myself as a 'xanthous dastard' when the opportunity arose.
    Thus i managed to raise eyebrows but was not subjected to violence.

I feel it was most sagacious of me.

• mama

#30307041 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #125:

Don't take this wrong way, just understand that it comes from a 55 year old woman way far away - but I have a terrific crush on you smiley8.gif