Forums > Words

Got some thing to say?

Posts (943)

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307042 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #126:

I'm not sure what the 'wrong way' would be, but i'm flattered nonetheless.

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30307043 - 8 years ago

word of the day

saccade \sa-KAHD\, noun:

1. The movement of the eye when it makes a sudden change, as in reading.
    2. The act of checking a horse quickly with a single strong pull of the reins.

Saccade originally refers to horsemanship and begins as the Middle French saquer, "to pull violently."

Two very disparate definitions for one word - also, this is a word I've NEVER heard before. Now I'm trying figure out how to use it in conversation today. Suggestions?

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307044 - 8 years ago

"I was so tired last night, that, when I was reading Aeschylus: The Eumenides, my eye continued to saccade, to the point where I had read the same sentence 5 times."

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307045 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #129:

Very nicely done.

"As my dastard horse careened ahead, i thought it sagacious to saccade it's headlong rush before i met with calamity"

A bit forced, but it's Saturday morning here so i'm off duty!

• mama

mama FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30307046 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #130:

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #129:

it's a tie!

• phoenix229

phoenix229

#30307047 - 8 years ago

As promised, I tried to use sagacious in the class I was subbing for yesterday. It didn't work out very well. I was met by a bunch of blank stares. One student even said "Why do you keep using big words?!"

• mama

#30307048 - 8 years ago

In reply to phoenix229, #132:

A woman who used to work for me accused of employee abuse because she needed to carry around a dictionary to understand me. I took it as a compliment.

• Knight375

Knight375

#30307049 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #133:

That's awesome.

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307050 - 8 years ago

In reply to phoenix229, #132:

"Why do you keep using big words?!"

"Because i am brilliant and you have a long, long way to go to catch up"

In reply to mama, #133:

Definitely a compliment.
    I would have earned the 'abuse' label though by taking it off her every time she opened it and slugging her across the back of the skull with it. Basically, if she has to look it up, she's asking for it.

• mama

#30307051 - 8 years ago

word of the day

demotic \dih-MOT-ik\, adjective:

1. Of or pertaining to the common people; popular.
    2. Of or pertaining to the ordinary, everyday, current form of a language; vernacular.
    3. Of, pertaining to, or noting the simplified form of hieratic writing used in ancient Egypt between 700 b.c. and a.d. 500.

Demotic stems from the same Greek root as democracy, demotikos, "of or for the common people." Originally, the term described the simpler of two forms of ancient Egyptian writing.

not much to say about this one - it's Monday.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307052 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #136:

Only demotic people use the phrase "it's Monday"....

^_^

Only on the internet can I sound cheerful on days I am half asleep.

• mama

#30307053 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #137:

ahem - are you calling me "common"?

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307054 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #138:

Why no...I was calling you popular.

• mama

#30307055 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #139:

common would be much more accurate!

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307056 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #140:

but there is a difference between accuracy and precision. =D

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307057 - 8 years ago

In reply to Vacant_Hope, #141:

That is an epic exchange right there.

Bravo people. Bravo.

• mama

#30307058 - 8 years ago

best website ever

savethewords.org

it's devoted to all those words that have been deemed obsolete from the English language. and you can adopt a word and pledge to bring it back into common use.

• Vacant_Hope

Vacant_Hope

#30307059 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #143:

pure awesomeness.... smiley13.gifsmiley13.gifsmiley13.gifsmiley13.gifsmiley13.gifsmiley13.gif

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307060 - 8 years ago

In reply to mama, #143:

I could browse that site for hours. It is full of absolute and unequivocal win.

I am going to adopt a word a week i think, starting with 'primifluous'
    [adj] 'that which flows first'

• Rev_Pleb

Rev_Pleb

#30307061 - 8 years ago

So over the weekend, sitting in the blazing sun at the family farewell barbecue, i told my brother that the beer he handed me was almost as good as the primifluous one. He blinked and then made to take back the drink he'd just given me, because in his mind i had clearly had enough if i was already making up words.

Plebians. I'm surrounded by plebians.

• mama

#30307062 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rev_Pleb, #146:

I adopted three words but I have only used one of them and it was to insult someone, but it was great - the word is oncethmus - like the sound of a braying donkey. I now have to resarciate (make amends).

I haven't figured out how to use the third word yet (other than to say have you ever heard of this word? which is lame). The word is molrowing - the act of making merry with prostitutes. Bring up Elliot Spitzer in conversation I guess.

Post edited 11/14/10 8:43AM

• Knight375

Knight375

#30307063 - 8 years ago

Have you ever heard of the Fiddler's Green? It's were Sailors go when they die, full of rum and molrowing, it's a hearty place.

I don't know if I used it right but eh, I tired.

• Knight375

Knight375

#30307064 - 8 years ago

Haha I mean where not were. >>

• mama

#30307065 - 8 years ago

In reply to Knight375, #148:

I still think the most logical conversational gambit for molrowing is politicians - aren't they always getting caught in the act?

Post edited 11/14/10 9:35AM

• Knight375

Knight375

#30307066 - 8 years ago

I suppose.