cross-post from here: http://roosterteeth.com/post/5...
Its been a long couple of weeks since we first unveiled the new video player and we've heard your feedback loud and clear.
Here is an overview of the changes included:
- Video quality selector
- Video binge watching on/off switch
- Video volume saved and persisting across videos
- J,K,L video hotkeys added
- Audio only streams now working
And here is the more detailed version:
Manual Quality Switching
The video player now lets you manually select your video quality in certain browsers. Our video player is using a technology called HLS (all the nitty gritty on that HERE) which automatically selects the quality based on your device and connection speed. We've added the option in some browsers to override this tech and chose the resolution manually. Some browsers and OS' support this technology natively (list HERE) and on those you will not be able to select quality.
Note: You couldn't select quality on those OSs/browsers with the old player either...
Note2: Any quality changes you make will not take affect until the current buffer is depleted. Your last requested video quality is saved and will persist across the site so once a new video loads it will take anywhere up to 30 seconds to take affect. This is because HLS has to load a chunk of the video initially to know what resolutions are available
There is now a binge switch on/off in the bottom right corner of all video info blocks:
This setting will be saved across the site. If you turn it off, you will not see the Up Next popup at all. If the Up Next popup does pop up, you can close it by hitting the x button (this button previously just stopped the countdown)
Here is an updated list of all the hotkeys available for the video player. Due to popular demand, we mirrored some other popular apps by adding JKL support.
- J, L skips back and forward 10 seconds
- arrow key <,> skip 5 seconds back and forward
- arrow key ^,v for volume up and down
- K/P/space bar to play/pause
- F for fullscreen
- Number keys from 0-9 skip to a percentage of the video. 0 is 0% and 9 is 90%
- M key toggles mute/unmute
- Double-clicking with the mouse toggles fullscreen off and on
This update is for all of you!
Let us know what you think!