Austin is lonely without all of you here :(
But! I come with news! As of last week, the planning for SideQuest 2012 has officially begun! Dom (Count3D) and I are getting an early start this time around, so we can be better prepared. Here are a few tidbits from our conversation the other night...
1. First and foremost, we are officially going to be known as "RT SideQuest". Why? Because we represent the entire RT Community. Because we like the look of the capital Q. Because we plan to be bigger than just RTX... which leads nicely into number two...
2. We will be SideQuest-ing at PAX Prime! Are you going to be at PAX Prime? Awesome! Come hang out with us and eat dinner/grab drinks one night. We don't want to interfere with other PAX plans, so we're just going to try to meet up one night for dinner and drinks so we can all get together again. More news on this can be found if you...
3. Follow @RTSideQuest on Twitter! Twitter was a huge help in making SideQuest a success this year, and we're taking the next step by creating an official account! You'll be able to find any and all SideQuest news through that account, and here in the group.
4. And now the big one... You already know this, but RT SideQuest will be back at RTX 2012! RTX will be bigger, and so will we! We've taken all of your feedback and come up with a few things that are super-important to us and they will be a major focus over the next year or so:
- Transportation: Although the events are going to be much closer together, we're going to look into renting a shuttle bus for SideQuest. I'm hoping that a large charter bus is reasonable. By reasonable, I mean I hope we can get enough seats and make up the cost by charging everyone a small fee for using the shuttle all weekend.
- Events for everyone: Plain and simple, we didn't plan events for people under 21. Our bad. This year will be different though, as we're going to make every effort to plan events at locations that are all-ages. For example: The bar crawl wasn't under-21 friendly. To mitigate that, we're going to have a central location where people of all ages can hang out if they don't want to bar-hop with a team.
- Tight schedule: We didn't do the best job of having a clear and concise schedule. We're likely going to trim down to a few big events (Think Highball and other after-hours parties, CTF, Salt Lick, and maybe one or two group meals) but publish a "SideQuest Approved" list of places for people to eat and visit at their leisure.
- Shirts and stickers and swag, oh my!: The stickers were a huge hit this year (If you didn't get one, come find me at PAX Prime! I still have at least 50!) and so we're amping it up next year with more stuff. We're probably going to do shirts, stickers again, and maybe some other stuff. We'll have more info on this as the event approaches.
5. I had several people trying to give me money during RTX to pay for some of the SideQuest stuff. I turned every single person down because we weren't planning to take any money or anything like that. Since there was some interest, we may be setting up a PayPal or some other means by which people can donate to SideQuest. We'll use what we can, and then donate anything left to Child's Play. If we do this, we'll post something later.
We're going to keep posting here and on Twitter (for the time being...) to keep everyone in the loop as we plan the future of SideQuest. I hope you're spreading the word to your friends and invite them to join us at our next event!
I love and miss all of you!
8 years ago