I really enjoyed Stan's segment on Fan Service. I thought it'd be a fine idea to narcissistically hijack the concept and do one myself. Because.
Now, I've picked up Yuri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on Ice because the guys on internet and Kerry told me to watch it. So that's exactly what I did. And boy is it a ride so far. Every episode had me clenching my tight buns due to the high amount of not-so-stealth wiener-to-wiener dong-to-dong moments. Now I understand what those BL shippers are on about. Those are some sincerely hot, wholesome actions -- and I don't mean their sensual moves on ice. Their uncomfortably Yaoi undertones really perturbs me amidst the comfort of the Dorito consommé and broth d'Mtn Dew fermenting in the unholy dark crevices of the desk. It makes my nose runny and eyes roll back due to the amount of ecstatic yes while watching it. Saying that it's really opened a new world for me is an understatement. It's taken me to a magic carpet ride between the lithe body of the grown-ass bishie AF men bishieing all over the damn place. And I'm okay with this. Because the story is actually pretty damn ok.
Anyway, here are my legit ranty thoughts on Yaoi!!! on Ice.
Shower Thoughts: Yuri!!! on Ice
1. The skating sequence would’ve been better if it’s animated in the same style as the opening.
2. The series is made to cater to wide varieties of shippers -- meaning it's sure to be popular to BL'ers as well as others... there're some for NTR*, MILFs, GILFs, and dogs, oh my.
3. The series is quite global and very international, a move toward a more global Japan -- or a more international appeal to BL!?
4. The character archetypes are surprisingly contemporary for Japan and their conservative ways -- a rebellious stage in animation!?
5. The strong emphasis on technology and social media to emphasize the small-world-after-all mentality is strong in the series.
6. The close proximity to which Viktor comes into Yuri is just exaggeration of the difference in culture: the fact that personal space distance is different in the West compared to the East. Exaggerated due to doing it normally would lose the message.
7. Yuri is Shinji, Yurio is Asuka, Viktor is Nagisa, and the general, non-BL enthusiast audience is Rei, having to witness the spectacle unfold while complaisantly standing by like a lifeless doll.
Issues I have on Yamete!!! on Ice
1. The jerky camera tracking is very distracting.
2. The characters with dark attire blends into the dark background sometimes. There are lots of compositional errors that really detracts from the otherwise brilliant animation.
3. The hyperactivity and speeeeeed to which things happen exhausts me.
4. The skating sequence is lacklustre despite this being advertised to be a skating animu; they did well in the relationship aspects, but the truly emotional moments has jarringly terrible animation quality. Why.
*NTR is the dirty Japanese memers' net speak abbreviation for Netorare, meaning cockblocked while the protagonist is forced to witness his love interest stolen by an antagonist, and fornicate in front of his very eyes. The course of action differs significantly story-to-story but the most common theme have the two enjoying the process while the protagonist have to go and beat off his puny cocktail wiener to the spectacle. In contrast the antagonist is usually bestowed with an XXL Brühwurst, further humiliating the protagonist. It's as masochistic as it can get on a mental level. Even the hardiest of meatbeaters shrink away at the sight of the NTR.
Apologies to all readers for the terrible mental image I may have bestowed upon all. But you've gotta learn if you wanted to be admitted to Mr Boner's Wild Ride. NTR better be a topic for the Hentai edition of Fan Service.