A couple of weeks ago I was asked to make a mini to promote the new Rooster Teeth podcast set, before I get into how I made it I would like to take the time to thank @sophieturcotte and @MLaPorte for working with me and giving me the opportunity to do a really awesome project! If you're reading this and are interested in my work, I've made a variety of miniatures before, including the original podcast set, the Off Topic set, the On the Spot set and most recently the Always Open set, amongst others.
So, on to how I did it!
This set was quite stressful to make as I wasn't happy with it until right at the end! There were points where I wanted to scrap it all and start again but couldn't because I was working to a deadline, but in the end I'm really glad I stuck with it as it all turned out okay.
The base of the set is a canvas board slightly smaller than A4 size. I have found this to be the best thing to use as a base as cardboard and foam board tend to curl when you paint them or get them wet with glue, and also canvas board has a slight texture which can give the effect of a carpeted floor. The backdrop and sides of my set are made from foam board.
I then painted card from a tissue box to look like wood and cut it into planks. I've had a lot of practice at this now as a lot of the RT sets feature wooden planks!
I had to paint the wood effect in a variety of colours as there are a lot of different types of wood in the background of the set. After cutting all the planks I assembled them onto a square of foam board that would make the back wall, and two frames that divide the 'kitchen areas' of the set to the left and right.
I then painted the RT podcast logo on the backdrop of the set, but this was one of the points where I thought maybe I should start again as I was really unhappy with my painting! In the end I decided to cover it up with spare planks and repaint it. I've included this in my method just in case I give the impression that my artwork always goes smoothly -- it doesn't!
I then made the curtains. I bought some red fabric and I cut them out, hemmed them and hung the little curtains on to kebab skewers that I poked through the side of the frames so that the curtains were very secure. I managed to keep them open with a little bit of thread tied either side which was very fiddly! It wasn't until I was ironing miniature curtains to keep them pleated that I realised how weird my little hobby is!
Then I made the cupboards and cabinets behind the curtains. For some reason I didn't take many pictures of the process of this, but it took me a very long time. I want to personally thank the person who sat the little action figure on the books as that was very fun to make, but also very difficult! the cabinets even have little mini glasses in them that I made out of tape, which makes me happy as I like to have everything as realistic as possible, but is barely noticeable when I then stuck the doors on them! (Plus, notice all the cabinets and cupboards have mini mini handles!)
My favourite thing I made in this set was this tiny wine bottle rack:
I then assembled the background, and this was the first time I was finally happy with the set!
Next thing to make was the little details in the background, such as the lighting. I made the three lights at the back out of wire, and the actual bulbs are made out of mini sticky back jewels that I painted yellow. I also used these jewels to make the lights on the arrow to the left of the set, and the neon 'BAR' sign I made out of wire that I painted white. Next came the little cabinet on wheels which I made out of cardboard in the same way I made the cabinets.
The last W.I.P picture I took was of the sofa before painting, I didn't take as many pictures as I should have done as I was quite tight for time and just wanted to get on and make the set!
But here is the finished outcome! I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I hope you guys are too! This set is a great upgrade to what we had before whilst still having references to the old set. Thank you all for reading!