After several years of knee problems, several different x rays, and several different diagnoses, I finally worked my way to talking to a specialist at the University of Iowa Hospital. Yesterday I had an appointment at the Sports Medicine Clinic and when they saw my x rays, they were a little dumbfounded. They even brought in a pediatrician to determine whether or not I had a developmental disorder. (I don't)
I was referred there by my last doctor, an orthopedic surgeon who basically laughed in my face and said there was nothing he could do.
Let me rewind a little. I have been dislocating my knees every couple of months since 2010. They always pop back in right away, thank god, but it's gotten to the point where if I'm standing for more than 20 minutes, it hurts too much. If I lay on my back with my legs straight, it hurts. It's incredibly difficult to find a job where I don't have to stand constantly. One of the reasons I like delivery driving so much, I get to spend most of the day sitting.
After my last dislocation last month, which happened when I slipped on the ice at work, I got a new x ray and my family doctor introduced me to a condition called "chronic dislocation." It usually occurs when the groove where the kneecap sits is too shallow to keep it in place. This can be fixed by a fairly simple surgical procedure where they deepen the groove. Easy, right?
Unfortunately, this is not possible for me. I have no groove. My knees are genetically deformed so that the inner part of the joint simply slopes down, it's not holding anything anywhere. So, technically, my kneecap dislocates every time I bend my leg.
At this time, surgery is basically my only option if I want to be able to walk in ten years. (I'm 22) The doctor yesterday said there were two main options for me, neither of which I remember the name of (one started with a Tr?) and both of which I will be hard pressed to find a surgeon willing to perform them. One of them(the tr one) is a very serious procedure and as I understood it, would be mainly aesthetic, I would still have pain. He also didn't seem willing to say the recovery time, which I'm guessing means >6 months. I said nuts to that. The other one would relieve the pain, and talk about 3-4 months to recover. Much better.
New problem: How am I going to pay rent during those three months? Time to beef up my commission portfolio, I guess.
Regardless, I'll be talking to a surgeon at the end of March (that's the soonest they could fit me in) and we'll get things more set up then.