sooo today is my 18th birthday woohoo! And I've been reflecting a bit cause turning 18 is supposed to be a pretty big thing.
So here are 18 things I've learned that are pretty decent things to know!
(Even if you know these things already, they're a pretty good reminder!)
1. Even if you don't always see eye to eye, always respect your parents. They brought you into this world and they can sure as hell take you out of it too
2. Appreciate your friends. They're all pretty good people, so try to be as supportive and encouraging as you can cause they'll have your back too
3. Be nicer to your sibling (s)! In the future, you'll need them a lot more than you do now! They're family, and that's what matters
4. Don't mix milk with anything citrus. The milk will curdle and give you stomach aches and bad poops
5. Take care of yourself! If you don't take care of the machine you live in, it will break down! Take breaks, drink water, and get lots of rest!
6. It's not always fun to stay at the YMCA. Trust me
7. Accept constructive criticism with open arms. Most people who provide good criticism want to see you improve at whatever you're doing! Don't think that their criticism is a judgement on you! They're just trying to help!
8. Be open minded. Going into things with an open mind, will let you enjoy whatever you're doing a lot more! And if it's with people, you might discover something new about yourself, and the other person will appreciate not being judged
9. Get your goddamn flu shot. The pick of a needle is a lot less painful than what will happen when you get the flu. Save yourself the pain and discomfort, just get the shot.
10. Not everyone will like you, and that's fine! You might not be their cup of tea, and you should be cool with that! Don't take it personally!
11. If you are struggling with anything, seek help. If it's homework, and personal issues, finding help will always be the best thing to do, instead of keeping it to yourself and trying to deal with it alone. People want to help, you just need to go find that help.
12. Be yourself! This is very cliche, but being who you truly are is the best person you can be! You will find people who will like you for you! And it's a lot less draining than being fake!
13. Treat yourself occasionally! Whether it's watching a tv show you like, or getting a cookie, treat yourself sometimes! Life is hard, and we all deserve nice things!
14. Nothing lasts forever. Friendships and relationships will end, and bad times will come for all of us, but remember that it won't last forever. Power through it, keep your head on your shoulders, and stay strong! You can do it!
15. Embrace change. Change is really scary, but instead of running from it, embrace it with open arms. Accepting change will make the process much easier in the future.
16. You're past mistakes don't define who you are. We've all messed up in our lives, but don't let those things hold you back. Use those things as learning experiences and push forward!
17. Laughing will always make you feel better! Feeling sad? Watch a funny video and laugh! You will always feel better!
18. You are incredible and you are loved. There is someone out there who loves you even if you don't feel loved. You're an amazing person, so don't let the hard times get you down. I love you ♡