If the final product is anything like this Beta...we're in for a massive disappointment, multiplayer wise. So far, the only thing I'm looking forward to is the campaign. 343i has got some serious work to do on this game if they expect the fans to be happy with it (which is a long shot, anyways). This did not keep my attention like I was hoping it would, and ended up barely touching it. My main gripes with the game were:
- ADS You can call it "Smart-Scope" all you like, 343, but that won't stop anyone from seeing it for what it truly is. Scoping in with ranged weapons was fine just the way it was in past iterations, and it could have been just fine here.
- Callouts My ears hurt every time I heard a Spartan say something. I seriously did not need to hear from a teammate that he had picked up a DMR, or that the enemy have the Sniper rifle, or that your shields are up. And to hear when power weapons are spawning in are a serious annoyance. "30 seconds", "10 seconds", "they're here!" are all unnecessary things to be told by anyone, let alone a fellow Spartan. Either take it out, or give me the option to turn it off.
- Bro-Spartans No. Just...no.
- Killcam Does more harm than good here, showing me exactly what I just saw less than a second ago. It does me absolutely no good to see the same thing happen. And if I happen to stick an opponent at the last second, I don't get the satisfaction of seeing it. I don't even get told if it was a successful kill, as the killcam obstructs the view of the game entirely, not even showing you an assist if an teammate manages to avenge you. It was better, although still unnecessary, in Halo 4.
- Medals I don't need one for every kill I make, even generic kills. "Perfect Kill", "Hat trick", "Rocket Kill", none of these are meaningful or necessary to make the game a more enjoyable experience.
- Carnage Reports Let me see them in between matches or if I back out to the main menu!
- Spartan Abilities Personally didn't mine the Sprint changes or Clamber (climb), but I found Ground Pound, slide and Spartan Charge to be entirely useless in the middle of battle. Charge is just thruster melee from Halo 4, there's no opportunity to use slide, and ground pound is too hit-or-miss to be useful in the middle of a firefight. I suppose you could use it to get to lower ground more quickly, but in the time it takes to charge, you could just simply fall.
- Armor Customization Stripped down almost as badly as in MCC.
Some minor complaints also include:
- No vehicles during the Beta
- New Rocket design sucks
- Lightrifle is exactly like the DMR, which takes away what made it unique to begin with
- Default Control Scheme
With all this in mind, I'm only looking forward to the story aspect of Halo 5, much like with Halo 4, though I ended up loving that one a bit. Sorry 343, but this is not a guaranteed pre-order this time.